Subject: [Leica] Fender Bender
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:59:14 +0100

Hi Jerry,
I have been working with Carbon-Epoxy since 1982. It requires a
different mind set to design with it than used for metals, for example
any fibre reinforced structure is not really suitable for rivets,
though non-expanding rivets which -can- be used are nowadays readily
available. These are more for the benefit of traditional construction
than suitableness-for-purpose though. How resilient a component is
depends on design and material choice, as usual, it just needs a
greater depth of knowledge to exploit than do metals. The Aeronautical
industry is rightly very conservative...
I have used carbon epoxy springs which are very light.
Frank D.