Subject: [Leica] 6 Bit Coder?
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:19:39 +1030

> Anyone have experience with one of these?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110433015384

Yes.

> If so, does it work?

No.  Avoid.

I found it impossible to use the 'coder' to accurately place the dots
on the lens flange.  I manually coded my lenses using a laundry marker
(lasted longer than a sharpie) this:
http://www.digital-leica.com/lens_codes/
and this:
http://www.digital-leica.com/lens_codes/template.jpg
This template costs nothing, so I wasn't too bothered when it didn't
work perfectly first time, unlike the M-coder and other gizmos I've
reviewed and concluded were not very useful.  I found it easier to use
this one as a guide and then to adjust manually as necessary if it
didn't work first time.

Marty