Subject: [Leica] We're going to China! Woot! Need hints...
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:26:41 +1030

Talk to Howard Cummer, he lives there.

In HK, stay at the YMCA:
http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/hst001e.htm - same view as The
Peninsular, a fifth the price, right near the Star Ferry terminal and
Tsim Sha Tsui.  Four stars - a really, really great place to stay.
There are also some great self-catering options on VRBO:
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/asia/hong-kong

Eat noodles from street stalls or in little restaurants (I can send
specific information if you're interested).  Apart from space (and
therefore accommodation) nothing is very expensive in Hong Kong.  A
guidebook (we found the Lonely Planet unusually useful - we've had bad
experiences with them in other places) is useful.  Get a good map - I
like the Moleskine City Guides - they don't look like tourist maps
that scream "please come and steal my wallet".

Getting out of TST/Central is nice - Hong Kong includes an amazing
area of 'Country parks' - protected areas with great walking trails.
The rhesus macaques in Kam Shan Country Park are very interesting, but
don't feed them, get too close or harrass them.

We also went to Sai Kung (New Territories), which has amazing seafood
and a beautiful ocean view.  It also has access to the beautiful,
uninhabited Kwo Chau Islands.

The outlying islands are also worth visiting.  Han Lok Yuen restaurant
near Hung Shing Yeh beach on Lamma Island has great food.  The
Bookworm Cafe at Yung Shue Wan also on Lamma has free internet and
great tea.

In terms of Leicas, film is hard to get - don't expect Japanese-style
stores with plenty of film.  bring your own.  Digital supplies are
plentiful.  If you want to look at cameras there are plenty of stores
and you could also contact LuGger Dr Joseph Yao.

HK is very, very productive photo territory.  I'm still editing my
pictures from my last half dozen trips there, but there are a few in
the LuG gallery already:
Our room at the YMCA:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/File1090.jpg.html
This guy fixed a tear in my shirt for $HK10:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/File1079.jpg.html
while I waited shirtless.  That attracted some attention (no pictures,
lucky for you).
Tin Hao Temple:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/File1084.jpg.html
In the bird market:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/File1101.jpg.html

I can send more suggestions if you'd like.  Take plenty of
storage/film.  I haven't been to Huaihua so no suggestions there.

Marty