Subject: [Leica] Bits
From: richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:41:02 -0700

Techo-babble. In theory, 12/14 bits ADC gives you more shape of each
RGB. e.g. with 8 bits, a red pixel will have 256 levels of red, with
12 bits, it's 10^12, or 4096 levels and so on.

However, most RAW file encoding (forget about JPG, they are compressed
to heck) end up being 8 bits per pixel anyway, so you may start out
with more, but the end results are significantly less.

HOWEVER-however, some of the newer files use more bits. I *think* the
S2 may be one of them. If it is, you can bet that Phase One, Hasy etc.
will also do the same, if not already. I am almost ceratin that M9 is
*not* one of them, but I'm sure Henning or others will correct me if I
am wrong.

HOWEVER-however-however, the Pentax high end dSLR, whatever it's
called, claims it uses either 12 bit or 14 bit for internal processing
back in 2007 or so, and when's the last time you heard people raving
about its dynamic range or color to be far superior to others that
don't use the high bit rate?

Mark, you need to stop reading specs and start showing more of your
pictures :-)!!