Subject: [Leica] Gallery Additions
From: wendythurman at gmail.com (Wendy Thurman)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 18:54:04 +0500

I've put up a few more images that were made recently.  The focus of our
work is in Farah, Afghanistan, which is in the southwest region.  This is
Taliban country and the security situation is much like Iraq- it is
difficult to move in that area and consequently my photography opportunities
there are limited.

I have one photograph here of a series I did early last year that I would
like to put up but felt I should ask before doing so.  Afghan men love their
dog fights.  The dogs are far too valuable to be hurt; the entire "fight"
lasts no more than a few seconds before a winner is declared.  In February
of 2008 I went to one of these events- had to have been the only woman
there- but got some incredible images with a Canon 5D.  There's no graphic
gore in the images; the pictures were always about the people and not the
dogs.  That said, I have no desire to offend or outrage people so I will
hold off on posting unless LUGers ask me to do so.

I don't always make "pretty" images.  I photograph what goes on around me
and in this culture, applying Western values and expecting Western norms has
proven to be a huge mistake.  It is what it is and I've learned to accept
that.

Anyway- new, "normal" images:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Wendy+Thurman/

Wendy