Subject: [Leica] This is why LenRentals.com rules
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:53:42 -0500

Quoth the red735i at earthlink.net :

> A guy that charges $2K a day, that spends $180 a day for the camera
> ( Who said a lens is included?) , and then still has to pay for his
> studio, gaffer, makeup, set builder, asst, etc, will shortly find
> out he should use something cheaper......

Not really.  Most of those other expenses (ancillary personnel, etc.)
are billable, either with markup or direct bill-to-client
arrangements from suppliers.  EVERYTHING is negotiable.

Rental of a camera which isn't part of the studio's basic arsenal
isn't at all unusual.  Years ago I was first assistant to a local
studio guy, who normally worked with a Nikon (F4, IIRC) but when we
needed something bigger, he rented my RB kit (and, on occasion, my
monolights) at $250/day, $1500/week, which he billed to the client at
$350/$2000.  No client ever questioned the charge; it was gear
specifically required to be provided for the shoot, and as such a
legitimately billable expense.