Subject: [Leica] so what can we do doctor ?
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:37:29 -0700

On Sep 18, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

> At 07:14 PM 9/18/2009, you wrote:
>> as a doctor I knew all about HIPAA...and for my photos got all sorts
>> of permissions, lawyers, signed permits etc, followed all the
>> rules...
>>
>> Steve
>
> I photographed in operating rooms and doctors' offices many times
> with the kids that we brought from Central America for kidney
> transplants, cornea operations, MRI's, etc., and I always was very
> careful to get all permissions signed by everybody but all of that
> was before HIPAA.  I've been told that now it's almost impossible
> for somebody trying to do the same kind of work to get any
> permissions at all even with the consent of the patients.

getting the permissions is actually the easy, risk free part Tina...

anyone who knows nothing about you, the patients, the permissions, the
circumstances,  can perceive there may have been a civil rights
violation and can submit a formal legal complaint, at any time...

even much later...

they likely will know nothing about the fact that an agency was doing
good for these kids, and that they were from abroad...

Steve