Subject: [Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:59:51 -0400

> 2009-09-16-16:34:59 Mark Rabiner:
>> Wow I love it when you get abusive Jeff!
>
> I aim to please.
>
>> The best work I've done in the past 2 years has been with a 12-24mm f 4
>> Nikkor.
>
> Clearly that works for you.
>
>> Some day though an f4 Leica 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar on a Leica M9
>> Totally useless because of the f 4 of course but somebody will achieve
>> mind
>> over matter status and squeeze out some usable images out of it none the
>> less.
>
> People get gorgeous images out of that lens out during the day, lit by that
> Sun thing.  Which I rarely go out in much.  It makes me squint.
>
> When it comes to working indoors, at night...  maybe I drink too much
> coffee,
> or keep trying to take pictures where people light for frickin' mood rather
> than vision, or your camera works usefully well faster than ISO 1600, or
> you
> have hands of iron.
>
> What I was reacting to is they way you imply (over and over) that lenses
> faster than f/4 or so are not just unnecessary to you, but are
> intrinsically
> silly exercises in excess, and their extra speed isn't actually, you know,
> useful.  For me, for the kind of pictures I take most often, without that
> fast
> glass (which I use wide open about 80% of the time), I wouldn't get nearly
> as
> many pictures I like.

I did some really great night shooting when I got my Noctilux in 2001.
Then came digital.
And I could easily get much better results from the the same dark alley
shooting the black cat at midnight with a slow cheap  $125 zoom.
So I'm curious the shots you've got you could not have got at f4.
You into some hair sliver depth of field thing?
I just Googled Jeff Moore Leica.. Maybe you could give me a pointer.

I have to say that I have my share of 1.4 lenses and I shoot all kinds a
pictures.
And I'm aware how they can be as necessary as they can be un.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?)