Subject: [Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:40:09 -0400

2009-09-16-16:34:59 Mark Rabiner:
> Wow I love it when you get abusive Jeff!

I aim to please.

> The best work I've done in the past 2 years has been with a 12-24mm f 4
> Nikkor.

Clearly that works for you.

> Some day though an f4 Leica 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar on a Leica M9
> Totally useless because of the f 4 of course but somebody will achieve mind
> over matter status and squeeze out some usable images out of it none the
> less.

People get gorgeous images out of that lens out during the day, lit by that
Sun thing.  Which I rarely go out in much.  It makes me squint.

When it comes to working indoors, at night...  maybe I drink too much coffee,
or keep trying to take pictures where people light for frickin' mood rather
than vision, or your camera works usefully well faster than ISO 1600, or you
have hands of iron.

What I was reacting to is they way you imply (over and over) that lenses
faster than f/4 or so are not just unnecessary to you, but are intrinsically
silly exercises in excess, and their extra speed isn't actually, you know,
useful.  For me, for the kind of pictures I take most often, without that
fast
glass (which I use wide open about 80% of the time), I wouldn't get nearly as
many pictures I like.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?)