Subject: [Leica] See the video about the M9 at Solms? (long & boring)
From: wbabbott3 at comcast.net (William B. Abbott III)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:19:08 -0700

Hi Dick,

Thanks. Amen, I quite agree, and that is partially what I meant by the
word "managing an interface," but I resorted to short hand.

I have long believed that Leica has great in-house design and
manufacturing capabilities but lacked effective supplier controls
experience. I hope that has changed.

In critical areas, I think much more than awareness of suppliers'
activities is needed and I sense that we could talk about that for a
week or more.

Supplier controls is what is required to insure that as far as is
humanly possible, no changes creep into the production line, i.e, that
the products of serial production are identical to those development
items (or the initial production items) which passed tests to verify
that they meet the desired development goals and specs, sometimes
called qualification tests, i.e, qualified for production.

By "managing an interface" I meant, for critical components,
contracting with a supplier to meet the entire design disclosure of
their product and to give the buyer "change control authority" over
all of it, i.e., all changes must be approved by the buyer. This
includes,

- engineering product design disclosure documentation,
- quality assurance plans and procedures
- material specs and material sources,
- manufacturing tooling and fixture design, processes and procedures,
- test equipment design, maintenance and calibration, test and
inspection procedures,
- material receipt, storage, shipping, packaging and handling
procedures and practices
- etc.

The precise meaning of "change control authority" has to be negotiated
in some detail for obvious reasons and can mean many things. In
addition, suppliers have to flow these requirements down to its
critical suppliers to whatever degree makes sense and the buyer must
routinely conduct audits to verify compliance with the contract.

Obviously, many items cannot be procured this way, and other measures
have to be taken to insure homogeneity in production, such as incoming
inspection, lot testing, increased supplier testing, etc.

If this sounds like a mouthful, it is, and I believe that Leica
routinely does all of these things in regard to its own internal
processes and for their piece part and material suppliers, or else
they would not have had the success they have had. Extending that
awareness and control to major suppliers requires a considerable
management effort.

A final note: The thought of finishing a development model and
"engineering" it for production, that is, the old way of throwing the
engineering design over the transom for the production department to
build, is anathema to me.

IMHO, from day one, the product design and development testing, as
well as the manufacturing flow, have to start maturing in tandem, so
that a tested and proofed production line, including suppliers lines,
can be ready when the product design matures.

I was very happy to see in the M9 video that the activity in view
"seemed" to be taking place in a full production environment, not in a
lab, which tells me that Leica developed the M9 and its production
processes in tandem, together, and not serially. If I am right, they
deserve a lot of credit for bringing the production on line this way.
I just hope they have brought their suppliers up to speed along with
them.

All the best,

Bill

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.net (Dennis) ([Leica] See the video about the M9 at Solms? (long & boring))