Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Big Boats on the Bay
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:46:25 -0400

Oliver - Nice to see someone else shooting boats on the LUG.  It's
amazing how well you were able to do with only a 117 mm equivalent
lens on your M8.   My favorites are:

9862 - Nice close up of the crew in action.

9868 - Really nice capture of one of those nerves-of-steel moments
that often occur in races.
The boat on the leeward leg and the bridge shrouded in fog add to the
excitement.

9875 - The two boats working to weather with the fog and bridge in the
background make this a really nice shot.  I'd like it better without
the mark in the foreground, but maybe that's a nit.

9898 - You caught the bow wave really well in this shot giving it a
real sense of action.

I do have a couple of suggestions, though.

First, try to capture the bow wave in all your shots as you did in
9898.  It gives a sense of motion, a sense of action, to the picture.
 From the look of the Bay, there wasn't much wind that day so the bow
wave would be relatively small but you should be able to catch it,
nevertheless.

Second, it looks like you might have been shooting from the upper deck
of one of the tourist boats that ply the Bay.  Next time try shooting
from the lower deck if you can.  It'll bring you closer to the action.

Finally, don't ever let salt water get near your M8!  It's much worse
than fresh on electronics.

Good luck.  Let's see more of the same.

Regards,

Dick