Subject: [Leica] BOATING PESO - "When and If" - VARIATIONS
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (Philippe Amard)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 08:29:18 +0200

Richard Taylor wrote:

> Sonny, Philippe - Thanks for your comments.  Those red boats really
> bothered me, too and I tried all kinds of stuff in PS and LR to make
> them less visible, all to no avail.  Also, I didn't just crop the red
> boats out because I wanted to show context and felt even a minimum
> crop on the original post, one that just skimmed the bow of the red
> dink, was a nice shot of the boat, but boring.
>
> So, here are three alternates.  I'd like to hear your opinion of them.
>
> So three variations.  Here's the original post minimally cropped.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/300_5475_crop.jpg.html
>

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/mm67nb

Why not if you keep more water below so as to keep the portrait more
balance - I see there's a fraction left to include

> Here's an alternate shot I also really liked, uncropped.  Here I felt
> that the red boat really was an eyesore, though.  I also felt the
> shot  wasn't as good a picture of the boat as was the first post.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/300_5480.jpg.html
>

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/knossx

This, for me is the picture - the red of the hemmothing  is balanced by
the tiles of the mansion -  an overall excellent compostion , more
atmospheric though, and less focussed on the boat , which was not your
primary goal I think ...

> Finally, here's the alternate cropped so as to just clip the bow of
> the dinghy again.  Looking at it now, I'm thinking maybe this is the
> best one after all though it does feel a bit cramped to me.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/300_5480_crop.jpg.html
>

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/ma4mfz

Yes, but as in 1, leave her some more water to stay afloat, looks too
shallow and dangerous as is ;-)

Thanks Dick - a fine series and boat in any case.
Bien cordialement
Philippe