Subject: [Leica] Upgrading to Snow Leopard
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:06:37 -0700

Hi Nathan,

It's a good backup of your personal data, but not a good backup for
this purpose.

You should have a cloned backup, ie, one that is a mirror image in
all respects of the hard drive in your computer. While Time machine
runs regularly on my computer, I generally update a cloned backup
once a week from my machine. As I have a 500Gb drive in my laptop, I
have a 500Gb external drive (WD Passport) as my clone drive. My Time
Machine is bigger, as it has multiple versions of my documents, and
also copies of things I've put in the trash already.

There is free software, Carbon Copy Cloner available through the
software update site versiontracker.com. Use that or something like
it to do the clone. I use SuperDuper even though it costs a bit as it
has a bit better interface and I use it regularly. They all tend to
use the same Unix engine built into OSX.

You have to do the following to allow booting up from the external drive:

Format the external clone drive with Disk Utility, and select the
drive and then 'Partition'. Under 'Volume Scheme' select '1
partition', and then below the graphic for the partition click the
'Options' button. Select the 'GUID Partition Table' for Intel
computers and 'Apple Partition Map' for PowerPC computers. You
wouldn't do this update on a Power PC Mac, so don't select this.
Click OK, and then type a name for the volume, and for 'Format'
select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' for your Intel Mac. The click
'Apply' and your backup volume is correctly formatted. Now use CCC or
SuperDuper (or one of a bunch of other clone utilities) to fully
backup your computer.

BTW, you can also get Applejack through versiontracker.com. This is a
very good maintenance utility, and especially useful for laptops that
aren't on all night.

After you have cloned your computer, you can select the external as
your startup drive, either through the pref panel 'startup disk' in
System Preferences, or by holding down the option key when starting
up and then selecting the external. It's a good idea to check once in
a while that the external is capable of starting up your computer.

If you've formatted the drive correctly, and done a good clone job,
the computer when started up from the external will look _EXACTLY_
the same as if you'd started up from your internal hard drive.

So now you can update your internal hard drive, and if something goes
haywire, you can immediately restart from your external, and if
necessary, clone the external back onto your internal and be back
where your started from, or keep working from your external startup
while you figure out what's wrong with your update.

Let me know if there are any questions.