Subject: [Leica] Death of PJ, revisited
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:47:56 +0200

I am afraid it is. Pick just about any country, and the most popular
newspaper are of the Daily Mail variety, the most popular TV channels
are those serving entertainment pablum and so on. The biggest
newspaper in Germany is Bild Zeitung. Not sure about France but I am
pretty sure it is not Le Monde. Following the fall of communism in
Eastern Europe 20 years, the newfound freedoms have been most
evidently manifested in an explosion of celebrity magazines, soft porn
and similar forms of entertainment.

But there is still a large enough group of people who are interested
in serious issues. I mean, Le Monde exists, El Pa?s exists, NYT is
still there, The Economist has no celebrity news and so on. I actually
hope that Murdoch's experiment with charging for all his web content
is successful.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain