Subject: [Leica] OT Alaskan Black Cod
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:41:18 -0400

 From the web:  http://www.fishex.com/seafood/black-cod/black-cod.html

Sablefish, or black cod, looks much like a cod, but in fact, it is not a
cod at all. It's scientific name is Anoplopoma fimbria and it is one of
two members of the Anoplopomatidae family, a group of fish confined to
the North Pacific.

Looking at the nutritional values of black cod, they can be considered
as a very health beneficial fish. Sablefish are very high in
heart-healthy Omega-3 oils, containing approximately as much as wild
salmon do. They are also a great source of high-quality protein, iodine,
phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, and calcium. The fats in
sablefish are highly polyunsaturated and thus well-suited to low
cholesterol diets. They are very low in PCBs, dioxins, and mercury.

Another important factor about Black Cod is their sustainability status.
This particular species information has become very important to
consumers over the past several years. The good news is that Alaska
holds the largest population of black cod in the world and their
conservation status is at the lowest level of concern in terms of fish
sustainability management. The Black Cod population is neither
overfished nor approaching an overfished condition.

Enjoy!

...Vick