Subject: [Leica] BOATING PAD - COMET
From: philipprice80 at yahoo.com (Philip Price)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jim, The magnesium alloys were not treated, they just naturally oxidise
which forms a protective skin. Interestingly the 2000 series alloys such as
2024 used on aircraft skinning for example are clad with pure aluminium to
prevent corrosion. The other alloys used extensively in aerospace are the
7000 series high Zinc alloys for strength, will be chromated or anodised. I
have a US aerospace customer that we supply machined components to and they
are all sulphuric acid anodised to prevent corrosion, we have to achieve a
minimum of 15 microns thickness to ensure adequate protection. Kind regards
Phil. P.S. One of my customers builds Spitfire aircraft, and I know of one
that went to the States.