Subject: [Leica] BOATING PAD - COMET
From: philipprice80 at yahoo.com (Philip Price)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 02:03:09 -0700 (PDT)

Ric / Jim, I work in the aluminium industry, and?for many years I worked for
Alcan, which is how I got to spend three years in Riverside CA., and where
our daughter was born, she kept her US passport ! What I thought you may
find of interest is that the aluminium alloy used in hulls is an aluminium 4
/ 5 % Magnesium alloy in rolled form its extremely ductile, it work hardens
from forming, and was first invented in the early 1920 `s and used on
lifeboats for the ocean going liners of the day. Another interesting story
about these alloys is that they were used to fabricate the body panels on
Land Rovers, this was due to steel being rationed in Britain after the end
of the Second World War, for some reason aluminium was not.

I know this story as I started my career in the 1960 `s at the mill
supplying Rover, and there were still people there from the immediate post
war years who were involved in the development phase. Sorry, this is not
photography but these exchanges lead off into all sorts of different
directions, which makes being a LUGer so interesting !!! Kind regards Phil.