Subject: [Leica] BOATING PAD - COMET
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:58:16 -0400

At 05:03 AM 8/19/2009, you wrote:
>Ric / Jim, I work in the aluminium industry, and for many years I
>worked for Alcan, which is how I got to spend three years in
>Riverside CA., and where our daughter was born, she kept her US
>passport ! What I thought you may find of interest is that the
>aluminium alloy used in hulls is an aluminium 4 / 5 % Magnesium
>alloy in rolled form its extremely ductile, it work hardens from
>forming, and was first invented in the early 1920 `s and used on
>lifeboats for the ocean going liners of the day. Another interesting
>story about these alloys is that they were used to fabricate the
>body panels on Land Rovers, this was due to steel being rationed in
>Britain after the end of the Second World War, for some reason
>aluminium was not.
>
>I know this story as I started my career in the 1960 `s at the mill
>supplying Rover, and there were still people there from the
>immediate post war years who were involved in the development phase.
>Sorry, this is not photography but these exchanges lead off into all
>sorts of different directions, which makes being a LUGer so
>interesting !!! Kind regards Phil.

It's a small world.  My husband worked for the aluminum industry for
many years - Reynolds, Alumax, Iralco, Venalum - and started his own
engineering consulting firm Penta that worked with Alcan and most
other aluminum companies.  His area was mostly recycling aluminum but
we've visited aluminum plants all over the world.  Maybe our paths
have crossed over the years!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com