Subject: [Leica] M8 DNG profile colour rendition comparison
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:41:49 +1000

If you want to use those profiles, yes, you have to start with a DNG.
Remember that profiles are specific to camera model.
When you open yor Raw files in Lightroom 2 or Adobe Camera Raw (4.5+)
You see usually two or more options under camera calibration. With more
popular cameras such as later Canon or Nikon models you may have several
options.
That is where any added custom profiles are visible to be selected after
copying them to the right folder.
Those options such as Adobe Standard and Camera Standard will work with both
DNG and other Raw files

Just for you, I located some Nikon NEF files and tested the process.
When you open the NEF files in ACR, select the camera calibration tab. You
will see a number of choices under Camera Profile.
Those are the pre-made options provided. Adobe Standard should be the
default.
I used the Adobe DNG Converter to make new versions of the NEF files.
The same profiles are available.
You can open any of those profiles in DNG Profile Editor and use them as a
basis for new profiles.
To do a custom calibration you need to folow their procedure and photograph
a standard color checker target.
>From those photos the Profile editor will calculate your custom profile for
you.

Get thee hence to the Adobe support areas if you want to learn all of the
detail. Both the converter and the editor are available free.

--
Cheers
Geoff

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/