Subject: [Leica] The MTFs
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:16:47 +1000

Richard, it is just a broad comparison as you say. However, your examples
actually do show the superiority of the Summarit quite clearly.
Just to pick the most obvious the 60 (at f/4.0) looks to reproduce about 92%
MTF at 10 lpmm which is the least demanding measurement. Just ignore where
the fall off begins as the four thirds sensor is disadvantaged there and you
can't compare the dimensions directly. The Summarit (at f/5.6) is providing
it looks like about 96-98% at the same lpmm. That is a significant and
important difference for contrast and resolution if you care about
theoretical best performance. I am NOT saying that the 12-60 in that system
doesn't perform well. I am saying you really don't want to pick a fight with
Leica primes on MTF diagrams ;-) By the way, the Summarit of course is not
leading edge, it is a less expensive spherical design to offer an
alternative price point. It might say something about Leica customers that
they are outsold 2 to 1 against the more expensive 50! The best comparison
to that particular range would be the excellent Zeiss ZM designs. In Solms,
Leica has some large prints from the Summarits about one metre wide on the
factory wall. Very impressive indeed and you can even press your nose
against them to 'pixel peep' the prints.