Subject: [Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:03:19 -0400

> I also suspect that the crop factor
> of a CFV back would soon show itself
> to be a tad less fun than my "lust" may admit to.
> 36.7 x 36.7 is not even twice area of my 5D sensor.
> This and the distinct possibility that even that back
> may show my 40, 80 and 120 Zeiss glass
> to be "less than" I remember (with film);
> stops me from throwing $6K
> toward lust and nostalgia.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser

A friend of mine says:

Digital sensors, regardless of how tightly packed the pixels are, are
not even close to film when it comes to capturing 'resolution'. That's
why sensors require low pass (dumbing down) filters. To reduce the LP/
MM down to be 2x to 4x lower than the pixel spacing. Schneider Digitar
lenses are 'reduced' resolution (reduced LP/MM) lenses to match
digital sensors. These lenses don't work worth a damn on film.

I think nothing happened to the MTV graphs of our Hasselblad Zeiss lens when
we turned out back. They were the standard of the industry from the 60's
through the end of the millennium. I think Zeiss Hassy bellies are going
strong.
I too miss the Hasselblad way of working.
Slower. Often on a tripod. Square.
And making for some great images.

I choose to do it again! And do the other thing!

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Hasselblad digi-backs, lenses - was M9?M8)