Subject: [Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:41:11 -0400

> There are probably a number of Zeiss lenses that are up to the task;
> the 100/3.5 is probably among them. The 40's aren't, and most likely
> the 50/4 isn't either. Since the backs available are crop format,
> wider lenses are necessary and the shorter ones aren't quite up to
> the best standards.
>
> The newest designs of Schneider and Rodenstock are necessary to make
> full use of the P65 and such. Zeiss is not producing lenses for this
> market.
>
> I mean if you are going to go to the expense and effort (and relative
> inconvenience) of going to a MF back you should be able to get a
> noticeable quality leap over 35mm. The Hasselblad C and CF lenses
> were certainly excellent for their time, but even with Zeiss time
> marches on, and they are now capable of better. Even lenses like the
> 250SA can now readily be bettered.
>

> At 2:11 AM -0400 8/13/09, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> http://www.pbase.com/cameras/zeiss/planar_t_35_100_cfi
>> Carl Zeiss Planar T* 3.5/100 CFi Lens Sample Photos
>>
>> Old Zeiss glass?
>>

>> You mean these?
>> http://www.zeiss.com/de/photo/home_e.nsf/Contents-Frame/5ED01EB620D0B1CEC125
>> 70F80033CADA
>>

>> Mark William Rabiner

The P65 is $39,990.
Overkill
I don't need to buy it I don't need to rent it. I don't need to shoot with
it.
I'm interested in what can be done with much more modest backs.

I'm interested in the
Hasselblad 503CWD SLR Digital Camera Kit with 40mm Lens
Mfr# 3011040 B&H# HA503CWD240
Price:$ 11,999.95
The back that comes with that.
Used.

Your typical Zeiss Hassy lens cost thousands and was made not that long at
all ago. I'm not sure whose thinking of it is old hat.
Are Rodenstock and Schneider making "digital" lenes?
I could care less.

Comparing a real Zeiss 5 thousand dollar Hasselblad lens against a Canon
lens makes not sense to me at all.

Mark William Rabiner