Subject: [Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:04:22 +1000

Aah Richard you need to come to terms with how Raw files are converted. You
cannot say that camera X or Camera Y produces "better"' colour. You can say
that Camera X ,using default conversion settings produces files that please
me more. that is perfectly valid bit is not an objective assessment or
comparison. You are describing the whatever default conversion settings in
whatever conversion software you are using, I think.
Unless you are shooting jpgs!  In that case I shall be over to spank you
shortly! Seriously this is a large subject of course. Just to pick Lightroom
or Adobe Camera Raw for examples, the default conversion settings for M8
DNGs are quite conservative. They are only defaults.  The E3 appears to be
an excellent dSLR in my limited handling of it and files I have. However
Nathan is indisputably correct. Your M8 and good Leica glass will produce
demonstrably better images than the E3 and the best of the very good Oly
lenses, all else being equal.
I fear that 17 people will leap in with contrary positions some of them
perhaps based on criticising Leica or M8s on principle or for entertainment.
However, if you like to share some basics on your current process, I'm
confident that the subject is worthy and you should end up better prepared
to extract more from your new M8. You've only had it a few days, trust me
your horizons are going to get bigger!  Define better colour for you. More
saturated, higher contrast? more natural appearing? What colour space are
you converting into? How are you comparing the output? Computer screen?
prints? Squinting at the LCD preview? What profile are you using in LR2?
Can I suggest that you choose one attribute at a time , I mean focus is a
separate issue for example, as is your exposure technique.

--
Cheers
Geoff

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/