Subject: [Leica] 50/1.1 Nokton
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:48:53 -0700

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>> http://www.400tx.com/files/Hilltop/1.html
>>
>> They didn't need sharpening. This is a very sharp lens wide open.
>>
>> Jeffery
>

> Jeffrey I don't think in digital photography its a thing where some
> lenses
> require sharpening and others do not because they're so sharp to
> begin with.
> Sharpening is pretty much part of the process.
> Though people are saying its not needed with an M8 because of the
> lack of
> anti aliasing pane of glass. No idea of that's true or not. I'm
> guessing
> they'd still need some slight sharpening.
> At the size we're looking at it on the screen you cant really tell.
> It could be resized.
> But it looks real soft to me.
> If the eyelashes are sharp they are too small to see.

I took a look Jeffery, expecting to be blown away...

truth to tell Jeffery, the images that I see look quite fine...they
should, they are jpegs that fill about 20% of my screen...
acceptable,  no more...not terribly impressive to me in any way, you
really can't tell more...nor should you.

Not better than a dozen other 50mm lenses shot wide open, by you and
others over the years...my impression is if anything, I've seen better.

This lens may be great, these images don't prove it.

Sorry, personally I can't see it, I always wonder how a new lens would
fare in a blinded taste test.

Steve

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jefffery Smith) ([Leica] 50/1.1 Nokton)