Subject: [Leica] Elmarit-M 2.8/90mm
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:14:52 +1000

Hi Jan, I had one (in black) that I sold. I just picked up another, even
though I have the superb APO 75 ASPH. (since I'm using the M8).  I think
that it is an excellent lens and can be very good value used.
I used mine for portraits on a film M and also for a few landscapes etc. It
is quite compact to have in your bag. I think that it is very suitable for
travel.
I found some examples shot on film for you.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/90232509,
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/si/S30.jpg.html
It was discontinued when the Summarit 2.5 90 was realeased. That lens is a
little lighter and smaller although actually slightly faster. Both are
listed as minimum focus distance of 1 m. However my Elmarit focuses a litle
closer than that. When comparing prices, be aware that you need to buy the
lens hood and its cap separately with the Summarit. The Elmarit has a
sliding and effective hood (although it doesn't lock).
Depending on your budget and needs, the alternatives are:
APO Summicron-M 90 ASPH. which is superb , more expensive, faster and
larger. This is considered to be one of the best lenses that Leica has
designed and the ultimate in quality.
The macro Elmar f/4 90 which is much smaller and collapsible. It focuses
closer too and you can also get a macro adapter for it if wanted.