Subject: [Leica] Seagate - again
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:14:54 -0400

I beleive if the disk is internally a sata drive, it can be easily removed
and placed into a sata enclosure.

there are plug-in models for temporary use (to dump data):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

and there are also full enclosures with fans.  i use the venus ds3, i have
a half-dozen of these.  the venus is one of the few single drive
enclosures with a fan.

http://www.meritline.com/ams-venus-ds-2316cbk-aluminum-3-5-external-enclosure---p-36131.aspx

antec makes a good one too, but it's larger and harder to get the drive
in and out.

all of the above have esata as well as usb which makes them faster than
current usb or firewire interfaces (if your computer has an esata
connection):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8364bbCMhA

i like these enclosures, the disks can be removed and stored as "bricks"
in much less space than a full enclosure. and prices for bare drives
are approaching $50/500GB, $80/1TB, $100/1.5TB (recent sales dell or
newegg runs periodically)

-rei