Subject: [Leica] Seagate
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 12:08:36 +0100

Hi Tina,
file synchronisation over the Internet should be eminently doable.
There is a linux utility called rsync that will do the job.
It's possible to run it on windows machines by means of a software
'wrapper' called cygwin, which allows you to have a linux/unix
environment running under windows.

The way rsync works is that it only copies files which have been
changed.  I use it to back up my windows PC to a separate server running
Ubuntu with a large(is) disk and it works very well.

I also use something called Unison on my macbook which enables me to
keep files synchronised between the macbook and a linux desktop system.
  It works a treat!

The only thing that might be a downer is the internet speed - whilst you
say you have plenty of bandwidth, it's normally asymmetric - so the
upload speed is often much, much lower than the download speed.  For
example, whe allegedly have 8Mbps ADSL, but in fact it's closer to 5Mbps
and this is the download speed.  Upload is I think about 512Kbps, maybe
1Mbps though I haven't tested it recently.

Still it could be worth investigating further.

Finally, since it's all open source software, it's all free!

Best wishes

Mark

--

Mark Pope,