Subject: [Leica] Seagate
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 01:13:00 -0400

> At 04:57 PM 7/31/2009, you wrote:
>> I presume you unplug all these backup disks when not in use? And when
>> you are using them, you plug them into a UPS, right? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Spencer
>>
>> PS. Seagate had a bad run of disks about 6-9 months ago but your
>> problem sounds like poor manufacturing/design.
>
> Yes, this particular drive is unplugged every day and carried back
> and forth from my office at the house to the farm.  It is plugged
> into an Acer UPS.  I'm sure the plugging and unplugging and carrying
> back and forth can't be good for the USB connections but I don't know
> what else to do.  The Drobos look interesting but get very bad
> reviews on Newegg and I need to be able to access the files from both
> of my offices.  I bought a 4 bay enclosure several years ago but the
> drives in it routinely failed.  I either have very bad luck or I'm as
> hard on computers as I am on cameras!!  I just want something that
> works with no attention from me and automatic backups in case
> something goes wrong.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley
> www.tinamanley.com

They do make these more compact disks which are designed for laptop use and
designed to be portable and very rugged.

LaCie
1TB Little Big Disk Quadra External Hard Drive Price:$399.95

LaCie
500GB Little Big Disk Quadra External Hard Drive Price:$239.95

G-Technology
500GB G-RAID mini2 Quad Interface Portable Hard Drive Price:$349.95

Special buy two get the third one free sale.

Mark William Rabiner