Subject: [Leica] S2 release dates and prices
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 00:45:06 -0400

> Sorry, Mark, I meant "splash" guards as the analogy to DSLR camera
> technology that still wants to stay in the last century. Re the shape
> of camera bodies, the classic SLR configuration needed a prism in the
> middle because the body needed the sides for film and take-up spool.
> The DSLR has kept that old SLR "look" mainly, I believe, for
> marketing reasons. Managers calling the shots at Canon, Nikon et al
> have kept camera body design in the 1960's since DSLRs first appeared.
>
> One of the main reasons I switched to Olympus was because of the
> side-swing mirror on the E-330 DSLR, which gives a very handy
> flat-top body and optical viewfinder on the top-left, much like a
> Leica M body. Two of those 330 bodies really fit easily into a
> carrying case, too - no humps to take up space.
>
> DSLR camera designers cannot seem to get "out of the box", both
> figuratively and literally. I don't think I have every seen such a
> bunch of moribund engineers with an attitude of "we have always done
> it that way." Also, look at the SIZE of most DSLR cameras! What other
> digital designs have "advanced" with equipment that has steadily
> become LARGER instead of smaller?
>
> The Olympus E-330 is now three years old, and I still consider it the
> high point in DSLR camera design. Nobody else has done the
> instant-shutter live view since, not even Olympus. And EVERBODY is
> still stuck on 1960's body design. The Olympus E-P1 doesn't count,
> because it only has an arms-length LCD finder. I can't even begin to
> say how disappointed I am in Leica's SLR-on-steroids-hump-backed S2,
> when they could have spent all that R&D on a combination M/R digital
> camera that could have rocked the market.
>
> Gary Todoroff
> http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm

>> makes them far
>>>
>>> Exactly my sentiments about DSLR cameras that are still being builtw
>>> to be retrofitted to hold film. Olympus broke the mold with the
>>> flat-top, side-swinging mirror E-330, then went right back to the
>>> same old mold. What a shame that DSLR designers are holding onto an
>>> obsolete body design for a longer time than early automobiles kept
>>> the slash guards up front for the horses!
>>> Gary Todoroff
>>>

>> Olympus has gotten smart though bringing back the Pen but with the wrong
>> format.
>> The more Yoshihisa Maitani we get the better off we are going to be.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/home.html
>>
>> We need an OM1 DSLR
>> And Clamshell full frame or at least 1.5 crop
>>
>> You don't like the classic SLR configuration which the DSLR emulates?
>> Not following....

Gary I also loved how Olympus came out with that first flat top Maitani side
swing digital and was disappointed when they switched to the more
traditional design.
Who wants main stream when one can have Maitani stream?

However I'm not all that unfound of the classic SLR configuration to put it
mildly.
And Olympus OM-1 is that configuration.
A camera system I picture Barnack in heaven using as his SLR secretly hiding
it under his wing instead of most the other much more clunky R's.
An OM-1 is like a Leica screw mount SLR.
I love lots of classic config cameras.
Olympus OM1
Pentax Spotmatic or ME
Canon FTb
Nikkormat or Nikon FM
Minolta SR#
Leicaflex then R
Rolleiflex SL35 with German made Carl Zeiss lenses
And 5 others I'm sure.

I could pick up any of them and start shooting without even thinking.
How bad could that be?
It was a camrea design refined by a multitude of camera companies
simultaneously with their customers feed back year after year over a dozen
years and represented a congealed consensus. Ergonomic. Homogeneous.
Its not still viable now why?
You don't like the lump on top?

Mark William Rabiner