Subject: [Leica] Seagate
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 19:23:49 -0700

I have never had RAID itself die on my server, but have had disks in
the array fail. The RAID just keeps on running. I always have an
identical spare as part of the array. The RAID just rebuilds itself
with the spare and all the data is accessible even during the
rebuild. Then I send in the bad drive under warranty or buy a new one
which becomes the new spare drive. RAID has "served" me extremely
well over the last five years of absolutely no data loss.

Did your RAID card fail? Did you use RAID0 where one drive failing
will indeed kill the whole RAID? I would hate for people to get a bad
impression of the real value of redundant storage. RAID5 only uses
one extra disk, so my four 500gb drives give me 1.5TB storage and the
fifth one is just there like a spare tire.  The RocketRaid controller
I use will eventually allow up to eight SATA drives.

Go with RAID Tina! With just you as the user, the extra speed you get
with RAID mirrored drives is not important. RAID5 is a bit slower but
works great. Only use external drives for backup. P.S. -- I just read
all the transport issues with your drives, TIna, but the above still
generally applies for safe data storage.
Gary Todoroff

Message from pasvorn at boonmark.net (Pasvorn Boonmark) ([Leica] Seagate)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Seagate)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Seagate)