Subject: [Leica] Backs at Backlight
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:54:58 -0400

> Well Mark, next time we meet I will show you my Blurb books...or you
> can buy them before that, of course ;-)
>
> There was a time when I was making prints. I had one printer for B&W,
> loaded with special MIS inks, using special wonderful paper; and
> another one for color, up to A3. It was one continuing source of
> frustration. I did not print every day, so the things would clog up,
> need cleaning, I would get the calibration wrong, wasting still more
> ink and paper. And finally, what to do with those prints? One could
> carry them around, of course, but carrying a big portfolio just does
> not fit my lifestyle. One could hang them around the house, but there
> is only so much wall space.
>
> Now I happily use Blurb as my printer. When I have a coherent body of
> work, I make a book. There is always room in the bookshelf for another
> book. And I am more than happy to show off my stuff on the web. I
> still make the occasional print, but only up to A4 on my Epson R800,
> in those cases where I have promised someone a print. And if I want to
> give someone a serious print as a present (or I need prints to
> exhibit) then I outsource that work to a lab that does it better and
> cheaper than I do.
>
> Nathan

Bulb is your printer?
Bulb is a book maker!
They make books! not prints!

I'm looking at having a custom print done as a step passed over we just skip
right from folder of jpegs to slick book now I guess. Not sure what I feel
about that mixed feelings for sure.

Not every body prints. Some great photographers, HCB, had professional
printers make their prints for them.
Then down the line those prints were compiled into books.
An unneeded step? I don't know. I don't get the best vibe from it.

But in a sense its like those guys who went for decades shooting nothing but
slides. They had pages of slides. Cardboard things with slides in them. And
Kodak round Carousels. They'd make a book right from those I guess.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Backs at Backlight)