Subject: [Leica] What is Gicl é e?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 01:37:46 -0400

> I thought I would pose this question to this group. To try to put some
> parameters around the question, I am being told that my injet prints, using
> archival inks and paper, are not "giclee".
> Though I know this term, directly translated, means to spray, and I know
> that
> much of the use of this term by photographers is for "marketing" purposes,
> am curious if you believe that the use of this term for my prints is
> accurate
> (archival pigments sprayed on archival papers of either scanned negatives
> or
> digital photographs).
> Thanks very much for any opinions you care to share. Any pointers to truly
> authoritative literature or sources would be greatly appreciated.
> Best,
> Bob
>
>  Bob Adler
> Palo Alto, CA
> http://www.raflexions.com

Bob Someone who is hitting you with "not "Gicl?e" thinks they're a really
cool insider on the printing thing but is really a Geek.
Ignore them. The term has fallen out of use years ago in the real art world.
Hanging on last in Japan. But waning there too.

A few years back it was a term which tried to gain some thought to be needed
respect for the inkjet process.  When process was just getting started.
Epson was on its first couple of printers.
At this point the inkjet process does not need any French words
Especially ones which are slang for "ejaculate" in most of Europe
- a to gain weight.
Its already got all the respect it needs by the plain ordinary generic
"inkjet" name that it is.

In the top galleries inkjet prints have been called inkjet prints and can go
for thousands. Those are the real world galleries as in buildings made of
brick or wood.
But on internet galleries those geeks seem to think that word will get them
not 30 bucks but a hundred bucks for a print. For using what someone thinks
are archival paper and inks/pigments.
Ignore them. Its make believe stuff. The gallery is closed for Star Wars
conventions. The owner has a R2D2 robot for a dog.

I think they may have a good library gallery thing at inkjetart.
http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/index.php
At any rate its a huge resource to gaining a perspective of what's going on
in the inkjet world. And then getting set up to do it. Then doing it. Then
getting more paper.
 But at the last AIPAD Photography Show they did have another term on some
of the prints going on some of the walls. Pigment something.

I'm not seeing books.
Just their product descriptions are way informative.

Mark William Rabiner

inkjetart.com
Categories
Catalog