Subject: [Leica] Platinum duotone for B&W
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 09:39:14 -0500

I doubt you're missing anything Peter.
All these software approaches lead to similar numbers.

As far as I can tell
each one of these tools
manipulates the pixels in similar
(often identical) ways.
They may attach different names to their sliders.
But in the end whether you adjust
the contrast and relaltive shadow, midtone, and highlight values using
curves, levels, fill light and black point, or some presets or plug ins
it comes down personal (and economic) choices of software and workflow.

In the early days of "pro" digital many technical and aesthetic
discussions occured
comparing and laying claim to the "best" RAW processor.
I'm not aware of such discussions having much varacity anymore.
Although I imagine that some software is optimized for specific
sensor systems.
PhaseOne/CaptureOne, Canon, Nikon, etc.

Without doubt, in my mind, PhotoShop remains the most versatile and
powerful.
I don't think it has any competition. It can do pretty much anything
that is possible to an image file.
It's an extremely deep program.

That said - A number of software companies have allegedly studied
the characteristics of many silver film types
and taken the time to set up algorithms to "simulate" the films
spectral response and grain structure;
then offered their work to us for consideration and comparison, with
one click.
Quite a wonderful offering; as I do not want to do that work for 20
different films.

After playing with a couple images over the last few days
I'm not even sure that I want the majority of my digital prints to
"look like film."
These become aesthetic decisions.

My own "grain" journey began with one particular image which seemed
to call for "grain."
It may end with some other treatment or never be seen by anyone other
myself.

And yes, as always, the difficult bit remains pulling a "Fine Print"
with whatever software and printer you have at your disposal.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com