Subject: [Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed,
From: bamboozld at gmail.com (K Landdeck)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:12:58 -0700

Long-time lurker, first time poster ... so I hope this isn't too
abrupt of a first-post, especially as it's partially OT. :-)

As a historian of modern China finishing my dissertation at UCB, I
have to chime in and say that the often invoked Mao example when
talking about Nazi atrocities is based almost entirely on
misconceptions and misinformation.

The people who died under Mao were almost all the result of misguided
policies (economic and political) in the context of a very complex
political situation.  To put it in the same terms as the holocaust and
Hitler's military aggression in Europe is to completely obscure the
distinction between deliberate attempts at extermination and poor
policy-making, between intention and unintended consequences, as well
as to misread the actual operation of power in communist China when
compared to the Nazi dictatorship.  Mao was rarely in control of his
own party, nor even fully informed as to the conditions in the
countryside that led to the famine and death tolls in the Great Leap
Forward and the violence in the Cultural Revolution.  Whatever his
follies, mistakes, and lust for personal power, Mao was not a monster
out to exterminate millions of people.  Rhetorically it sounds good,
but it does violence to historical understanding to imply that the
actions and motivations of Mao and the CCP/PRC were analogous to
Hitler's and the Nazi Party/Government.

I would be happy to supply a "starting point" bibliography for anyone
who would actually take the time to read some well researched analyses
of the GLF and GPCR, instead of just spouting "common knowledge",
which is common mainly in the sense of being based on very
superficial, and often outright wrong, information.  (Sadly, the state
of education on China is abysmal in most of the world and as a result
such sloppy comparisons between Hitler-Mao or Stalin-Mao are made
often, even in places like the NYT and other venues that should have
better research staffs).

The larger point Jayanand is trying to make, however, I agree with.
As a historian (again), I find it painful to see anyone advocating the
destruction of  historical traces just because they have negative
associations as it only hastens historical amnesia.   This seems
especially dangerous because we selectively ignore all sorts of other
items that are blotted with their past on a daily basis: are all
people who collect Vietnam era memorabilia suspect because of, and
complicit with, the napalming of Vietnamese villages carried out by
the US Air Force?  How about WW2 era items from the US bombing
command, since they deliberately firebombed Japanese cities killing
tens of thousands of civilians, even children?  If my grandfather was
involved in those raids and I wanted to collect a bomber captain's
pistol would that make me complicit in those actions?  How about the
virtual extermination of native Americans in California (which also
had a death toll in the millions)?  Anyone who collects items from
this segment of the past is morally suspect?  Where does this end?

I find it ironic that one of the most misguided policies of the
Cultural Revolution was precisely the same kind of judging of people's
motives for having possessions as I see in this discussion: having
bourgeois items (or even things produced by a capitalist country)
meant, a priori, one was a capitalist and hence discriminated against.

And then, it seems to me that there are plenty of far more pressing
issues (some mentioned by Jayanand) involving real tyranny and
oppression today that we can be outraged over, rather than a few
cameras with a swastika on them from half a century ago.

To keep this somewhat photography related: I do have a small gallery
on the LUG site that I am slowly adding to.  It's mainly conventional
street stuff shot on film with an M4 (and a mix of Zeiss/CV/Canon
glass) here in San Francisco.  :-)
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/shudaizi/

respectfully (from a LUG newb),

Kevin Landdeck