Subject: [Leica] Which M to sell to get which M8?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:30:25 +1000

Means check every adjustment and function to ensure that they comply with
the design specification. In the case of the focus adjustment, users found
that the tolerances of the sensor vs. film were miniscule for critical focus
situations and became apparent with fast lenses (that almost always have
some focus shift) wide open and close in.

Leica's answer is a mounting the camera with a benchmark lens on a very
large and sophisticated jig (the width of a large room) with skilled
operator. Angled focus arrays at .7m, .9m and out to several metres. 8 or 10
points as I recall. Measurement by some kind of RF optical and electronic
analysis functions displayed as images and graphs to the operator who brings
the predicted and actual points into coincidence and records the exact
values at each point for that specific sensor/body/lens mount assembly.
If its all within tolerance, cool! They are guaranteeing all of your camera
functions for an additional 12 months.
I watched this process on a batch of the new white M8's. No photography of
the actual processes allowed for commercial reasons as I'm sure that you can
understand

--
Cheers
Geoff