Subject: [Leica] David's Blag
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:28:45 -0400

I used to enjoy to the utmost reading David Barry in the Oregonian at the
breakfast table over my first cup of coffee. He's out of Miami don't get me
wrong.
Now that I'm in NY instead of the NW I've lost touch with him for some odd
reason. Did he retire? Is he out waterboarding on the Tampa Bay?
I now enjoy just as much reading the high tech David.
David Pogue.
Almost as funny as Barry.
But with all kinds of cool gizmo stuff.
I believe he's the most successful columnist ever out there but if I'm wrong
I'm close.
Just out today
http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2009/06/25/technology/circuitsemail/index.htm
l?8cir&emc=cir
Or
http://tinyurl.com/luxrbd

A successful perennial thread on the LUG is
What's in your bag?

Pogue did that in his internet column today which I get as an email.
For a high tech guy his bag itself is an amazingly cool choice.
a Timbuk2 bike-messenger bag,
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/

In the bag:

Popular Photography
I can easily get well past Chicago from NY on a Popular Photography in an
airplane. Its good for 1000+ miles heading into the wind. And that's been
the case since the  ist one I ever read got me into photography in 1965 when
I was 13. A very good year.

He packs a Nikon D80 in that bag! To me that's a real camera.
It's is a compact DSLR 1.5 crop circle factor
In my bag is a D40x that's darned close enough to be not separated at birth.
But he's saving weight he says he puts a Canon PowerShot 880 in the bag
instead. But we don't know how often he likes to save weight.
I put in a 45mm pancake on my body instead of a normal sized prime or zoom
and call it a point and shoot.
The Canon point and shoot he's talking about would get lost in a bag like
that I bet he puts it in his top pocket. I bet he shoots movies with the
thing. Seen by millions. On a regular basis.

Noise-canceling headphones
I'm getting them soon.
Probably follow his advice.
A lady on a train last month sold me on them. Or them on me.
I glanced back at her face from time to time and she was enjoying the trip a
bit more than me; not having to overhear peoples cell phone conversations.
Just the 9th from Ludwig Von.

Amazingly he is vague about which APPLE laptop he's got in there.
A Pogueite would just know that kind of thing.
>From what I can remember of his past columns I bet he has an Apple new ultra
skinny one in there. But I think he's got an older fat one too.

And all kinds of other smart, cool and funny stuff you have to read the
thing.

Soon I'm sure he will have Leica's latest Rollei 35 digital full frame with
a 40mm Summicron pull out lens. Shooting High Def movies.
Much better than cell phone quality.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] David's Blag)