Subject: [Leica] QUESTION????? Kodachrome RIP
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:16:36 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:

QUESTION???????

Given how many of us have shot thousands of frames of Kodachrome and loved
the results with great passion. Will there be a day when digital resolution
will equal that of Kodachrome? Or are we there now? Or the foreseeable
future? Or is it possible? Or is it really necessary given the quality of
some digital cameras?
<<<

My last roll of K25 was saved for the January 2007 meeting of the
California Hawking (falconry) Club, where numerous birds of prey were
perched on display.  A the time the DMR was relatively new to me so I used
both the R8/DMR and a Leicaflex SL loaded with the precious K25, with the
280mm f/4 APO-Telyt on each camera in turn.

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke01.jpg

Once the processed K25 returned I compared the slides with the DMR photos.

Color quality: DMR, no contest
Image detail: DMR, no contest
Dynamic range: DMR, no contest
Grain/Noise: DMR, no contest

All this with the DMR at ISO 400.

I believe our memories of Kodachrome's color and detail are shaped by
comparison with the other films of its glory days, the Ektachromes,
Agfachromes and numerous forgettable emulsions.  In its day it was the rock
I stood on, but we've moved on from there.  It was a stepping stone to
where we are now.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?

Replies: Reply from john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell) ([Leica] QUESTION????? Kodachrome RIP)
Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] QUESTION????? Kodachrome RIP)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] QUESTION????? Kodachrome RIP)