Subject: [Leica] Arbusing
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:28:14 -0500

I agree that a quest for originality,
like a holy grail, for its own sake,
will drive one crazy.

Yet, I believe Walt's simple "pick a niche and dig in"
will get to one's inherent, unavoidable "originality."

The niche of choice may be:
subject, style, form, content; genre;
or any combination of them;

or ripping off existing work mercilessly
I suppose.

It's the digging in that's important;
hours every day
- working the axe and listening to the tones
- writing the words on paper and seeing what they say
- pointing the camera at something and seeing what something looks like
- pounding the clay into some kind of shape
over and over and over again
that's what gets to the heart of the matter.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com