Subject: [Leica] Friday Flower -- An orchid -- C&C welcome + to Peter
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 23:20:55 +0200

pwerner wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> I know the DMR to be better than the G1 (I have not really tested by
> how much), but my back tells me he does not like to carry the weight
> and bulk of the DMR + lenses and accessories any longer. Not long ago,
> I bought a Nikon D700 to use my old Nikon glass but I am not satisfied
> with the results, mainly as far as color rendition is concerned.
>
> Until now I have not found a situation in my sort of shooting (mainly
> outside or inside with good lighting) where the G1 would not
> accomplish what I need. Sharpness and color fidelity are excellent,
> the weak point being noise at higher ISO, which I do not miss. My max.
> print size is A3 and there is no problem with that, even when cropping.
>
> With the vast array of MF lenses that can be used with adapters, the
> only lens type I am still looking for is an extreme wide angle. I am
> thinking of the 12mm VC Heliar but have not made up my mind; perhaps I
> shall opt for the 9-18mm Olympus instead.
>
> Apart from the kit lens, my preferred lens for traveling light, I have
> an excellent 25mm/2.0 Macro Kinoptik as normal focal length,  18mm and
> a 50mm/2.0 Cooke Speed Panchros. For macro I have the choice between
> the Kinoptik, the 50mm Kern Macro Switar (my prefered lens for macro)
> and the 100mm/2.8 Macro Elmarit R, when needed with the 2x extender.
> Apart from these, I can play around with a nearly endless array of old
> lenses in Alpa Reflex, Exakta, Leica M and R, Nikon, M42, C-mount and
> more, some of them over 50 years old.
>
> The results I am getting from these MF lenses, on the G1 are
> excellent; I rarely use the AF kit zoom. Manual focusing with the
> focus assist is very easy, I would say better than with a "real" DSLR.
>
> Whar is your current gear, are you thinking of the G1, too?

Yes, for sure.
Along with anything that would deliver higher pixel count than the L1,
and less noisy high ISO.
Yet, so far, the L1 is the only digital camera I've seen on the market
that is as intuitive as a (Leica) film camera.
I might have to wait a little longer as I hate menus and am addicted to
analog settings switches/buttons, etc.
I had waited for the R 9.2 Diesel, then the L10; well, the G2 perhaps?

BTW: I read that Pana are about to release a 7-14 for the G1, you might
be bettter off waiting a bit for your superwide then.
If the quality matches the current 4/3 Oly 7-14, then you should be
fully satisfied.
I'm waiting too until I decide on my next steps.

Viele Grusse
Philippe