Subject: [Leica] kindle and newspapers
From: leica at ralgo.nl (bruce golding)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:22:43 +0200

when i first visited the states, i encountered a "book" of a
newspapers. it was a week-end, i believe.

pages and pages of opinion, thought, report, some photos., far far
too much sport; drivel for everyone's taste.

saddened, because i spent hours trying to find the us and world news,
without true success, i renounced the challenge.

years later, when living in paris, i quickly discovered the "trib.";
between 4 and 6 pages of world news and then the us sports; but quick
and easy to read.
now that was, for me, a news-paper. for opinion i went to le monde.

the week-end 'papers and magazines in the uk were split into
sections, so that one could and still can, read only the parts of
interest.
the magazines had the most wonderful picture stories on events from
the world, plus often indulgences to narrating, for example, the life
of a horologist ........

in the uk this market still exists, at the week-end, i think,
but ............

for the rest of western europe, national and local 'papers are
dying ....... rapidly.
commuters rely on the give-away editions; even in small towns for
local news, delivered weekly to the door.

journalists with a personality which establishes a rapport with the
reader, will continue to be read somewhere, i hope.
but, for the rest, it's over.

we are bombarded with information. to do/achieve what? each tries to
out-do the other, why? competition of the species.
to gain more, live grander; to what end? we sleep in one bed at a
time, require to eat satisfactorily and healthily, delight in family
and friends, enjoy ..........
our LEICAS. give and maybe receive ..........

time to conclude, byee
b.