Subject: [Leica] Nathan's Book List
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:55:44 -0500

or do you have the horse in back of the cart?
"these people new who they were;
published themselves before others could
see, read, listen to and appreciate their work."

On May 15, 1855, Whitman registered the title Leaves of Grass with
the clerk of the United States District Court, Southern District of
New Jersey, and received its copyright.[3] The first edition was
published in Brooklyn at the Fulton Street printing shop of two
Scottish immigrants, James and Andrew Rome, whom Whitman had known
since the 1840s,[4] on July 4, 1855. Whitman paid for and did much of
the typesetting for the first edition himself. The book did not
include the author's name, instead offering an engraving by Samuel
Hollyer depicting the poet in work clothes and a jaunty hat, arms at
his side.[5] Early advertisements for the first edition appealed to
"lovers of literary curiosities" as an oddity.[6] Sales on the book
were few but Whitman was not discouraged.

The first edition was very small, collecting only twelve unnamed
poems in 95 pages.[7] Whitman once said he intended the book to be
small enough to be carried in a pocket. "That would tend to induce
people to take me along with them and read me in the open air: I am
nearly always successful with the reader in the open air."[8] About
800 were printed,[9] though only 200 were bound in its trademark
green cloth cover.[3] The only American library known to have
purchased a copy of the first edition was in Philadelphia.[10]

The title Leaves of Grass was a pun. "Grass" was a term given by
publishers to works of minor value and "leaves" is another name for
the pages on which they were printed.[7]

Whitman sent a copy of the first edition of Leaves of Grass to
Emerson, the man who had inspired its creation. In a letter, Emerson
called the book "the most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom
America has yet contributed."[11]

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com