Subject: [Leica] Panasonic G1/Leica 28 mm Summicron
From: r.s.taylor_post at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:02:18 -0400

I bought a Panasonic G1 and M-4/3rds adapter last week and thought you
would be interested in an initial user's report.  Six of the photos I
took with this combination can be found at:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/panasonic+G1/
or
http://tinyurl.com/o7fnbg

Since I expect to travel to Japan for the first time this summer, I
wanted a small, lightweight, travel camera with a reasonable sensor
size and capable of producing really nice results.  I think I've found
it.

Some initial impressions:

* The EVF works fine for manually focussing and framing in dim light
and bright without invoking the magnified view down to about f4.0.
Smaller than that I needed to magnify the view.  Since (I read) it
runs at 60 Hz in bright light the finder has no more delay than a
typical DSLR and with the usual anticipation I found I could catch the
peak of the action pretty reliably.  I dim light (and at very small
apertures) it slows to 15 Hz and I quickly learned to slide the camera
slight to the right and use my left eye to catch the action.  This
works really well and is better, IMO, than putting an optical finder
on the top of the camera.

* It quickly became apparent that a couple of firmware changes would
be nice to have:
        - One-button selection of the magnified view (it now takes two)
        - An option to have a magnified spot in the center of the field with
          an option to have it on all the time.

* On my camera, anyway, the front dial exposure compensation function
in Aperture Exposure mode cannot be turned off.  This led to some
heavy confusion until I realized what was happening.  This does not
happen in Programmed Exposure mode and once I switched to it my
exposures became consistent.  If anyone knows of a menu setting change
I could make to fix this, please let me know.

* The indoor shots were taken at ISO 400 (1st shot) and 800 (latter
two) in a very dark French restaurant.  It sure looks to me that ISO
800 is nicely usable.  The outdoor shots were at ISO 200.  The posted
pictures were shot in RAW, converted to DNG and processed in Lightroom
with only exposure (to fix the exposure compensation errors noted
above).  They all look a little pastel for my taste and I will
probably boost both contrast and saturation in my workflow on output
from this camera.  I didn't try higher than 800.  (The food was too
good and I got distracted.)

* All these were taken with the 28 Summicron except the Nobska photo
which was taken with the new rangefinder focussing Cosina 15 mm.

* The few photos I took with the 14-45 kit lens look pretty nice, too,
but I hardly spent any time with it and can't really comment beyond
that.

That's it for now.   More later, I expect.

Regards,

Dick
off-list comments to r.s.taylor at comcast dot net please.

Replies: Reply from leica at ralgo.nl (bruce golding) ([Leica] Panasonic G1/Leica 28 mm Summicron)