Subject: [Leica] Need advice on a "car camera"
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 13:08:23 -0700

Yesterday I was walking along Seattle's Lake Union during lunch time.  I
spotted a female mallard duck standing at the door of a marine financial
and brokerage firm, as if she wanted to get in. It would have made a great
picture, just the kind that I like to take.

Except that I didn't have a camera with me.  Why?  My employer now bans all
personally-owned cameras in the workplace, including cell phone
cameras.  It's not negotiable. I would have to either leave my camera with
the receptionist every day and pick it up at lunch and after work, or leave
it in my car. I'm not comfortable with the first choice, as it makes a
non-work activity impact the workplace (bad politics). And I certainly
don't want to leave a Leica in either place.

All this is a big PITA. So far I've just left my cameras at home, and I've
missed a few good shots.

Maybe I need another camera.  One that I could leave in my car, and if it
were stolen, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  The question is, what
camera?  I'm thinking of either a fixed-lens rangefinder like a Canonet or
an Olympus XA, or perhaps a decent secondhand digital.  I hate autofocus
lag on P&S cameras.  And I'm not sure I want to deal with film again on a
regular basis.

I'd like the camera to be pocketable (or at least fit in a belt pouch). It
should be focusable (no fixed-focus or guess-focus). Autoexposure is OK,
but I'd prefer to have full manual shutter/aperture control available, and
not so hard to use that I wouldn't use it.  I want sufficient image quality
that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show the pictures.  I'd prefer a 40-50mm
f/2 lens or thereabouts, as Seattle is often very gray.

A final wrinkle--if I left the camera under a car seat, would it get too
hot if I park outside during the summer?  At work we have an indoor garage,
but invariably the camera would sometimes get left in the car during
errands, in the driveway at home, etc.

Any thoughts?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] Need advice on a "car camera")