Subject: [Leica] Slow CV 20mm...now S2
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:13:06 -0700

On May 7, 2009, at 5:51 AM, leo wesson wrote:

> I'm kinda worried about the success of the S2.  It's a hard sell to
> get
> someone to totally buy into a new system at that dollar level.
> I hope it works as advertised.  I can tell you that if it has little
> hickies
> (like, opps funny colors unless you add this $200 dollar filter that
> isn't
> available when the camera was released) it will be dead in the
> water.  Pros
> don't mind spending  $ on equipment  (either purchased or rented)
> but the
> equipment has to work as advertised and they have to trust it so
> that their
> client has no surprises.
> It's a totally different shooter that they will be dealing with.

Leica has ventured into real deep water here, opting to develop a
brand new camera system, leaving their established products,
both M  and R in limbo...

I think we all know this...a huge gamble...and not making their
established core very happy...while they jump off into the great
unknown.

Sometimes it's best to complete one project, rather than starting
multiple projects, no matter how good they sound.

If nothing else, it's a message to possible S2 system buyers, that
they too could become similarly stranded.

In any case, for those that may first buy the S2 system, it will
possibly say more about their financial circumstances, than their
photographic ability or good sense.

I hope it works, though that remains to be seen. If not,  it may be
the end of the Leica company.

Steve