Subject: [Leica] M8 Camera Profiles
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 16:18:55 +1000

 WARNING contains geeky discussion on using Raw Convertor and DNG files.
This thread may only be of interest to M8 DNG users and DNG enthusiasts.

Firstly background:
Adobe Camera Raw (later versions) provides two profiles for the M8, one
called Adobe Standard and the other called Camera Standard.
These are applied via the Calibration tab. Lightroom 2 uses the same
profiles.
I am not finding the 'Camera Standard' very useful. It is meant to emulate
the default jpeg settings for the camera.
I find the Adobe Standard to be quite restrained in its rendering of primary
colours. This is not a fault but a starting point for developing.
For colour I prefer to achieve something closer to the Fuji Pro slide film
that I used previously.
Adobe generated the profiles for each supported camera type by photographing
a Color Checker card under 6500K light and 2850K light.
When you open a DNG file you are offered the profile/s particular to your
camera type. The selected profile then interpolates from those two
renderings to give you the starting point for your DNG file.
Adobe offers a free DNG Profile Editor which allows you to customise any
profile. It also has a function to duplicate the original process with files
from your individual camera.

I used their original method as follows:
Color checker, WhiBal (white balance card) colour temperature meter, 2 light
sources, being bright open shade and a tungsten lamp at my helpful pro
dealers, Kayell here in Brisbane.
I used their meter,tungsten light and outside area to establish the light as
close as possible to each ideal (6500 &2850) and made two exposures of the
chart and card subjects.
Using Camera Raw 5.3 I opened both DNG files. I used the default ACR
settings only and saved as 16 bit PSDs in ProPhotoRGB.
I made two versions from each shot, applying the Adobe Standard and my
customised profile.
I made final web size versions of each and have posted two samples for
comparison here.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/t_001/D65AdobeStandard.jpg.html>
There are a number of complications since the 8 bit Color checker RGB
numbers are not always quoted in a specific colour space, and producing a
final web version requires conversion to sRGB too since web browsers are not
colour mangement aware anyway.
But the inyent was to change the data as little as possible during all
processes and treat each file identically. Every monitor will differ as
well, obviously
Exposure and white balance are not actually crucial in the target files
although even lighting is.
However you can still see significantly different rendering in the example 2
that I have posted. Subjectively the customised one is more accurate.
This whole process is about the relationships between the 24 patches.

I am happy to send my custom profile (small file) to anyone that is
interested and would appreciate any comments on methodology or from anyone
who has also experimented here.

--
Cheers
Geoff