Subject: [Leica] LUG Assignment #2
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 03:02:46 +0100

Below is the description of the picture reckoned by george to be the
best when shot for the last assignment you can track the full post on
18/04/2009, I chose a different way of illustrating the recession but
also to illustrate a concept I have been trying to demonstrate about how
I use a compact like a field camera (someone else's quote but a
perfectly valid and true criticism). When I was a professional I rarely
went for the obvious shot, I am now severely disabled which is not an
excuse as I criticise any picture I take with the same standard, but my
mobility and speed is more limited by either one or two walking sticks
but I'll have a crack at any assignment. I don't think I can photograph
outside of being a photojournalist, I suspect that I cannot take
portraits as I lack empathy when using a camera. I wouldn't mind an
assignment to take a picture "in the style of" another photographer that
would be fun and take people outside of their own familiar habits.

Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
> My apologies for sending a blank post by clicking wrongly.
> I meant to draft a response.
> Philip, George's initiative is meant to encourage people to shoot, perhaps
> outside their comfort zone and to post pictures.
> I didn't participate in the first round as the subject does not appeal
> personally.
> You may not have seen it as a newer subscriber, but Brian hosts a monthly
> competition on themes too. There has been a small hiatus, no doubt owing to
> Brian's very busy schedule recently.
> You can see all of the previous galleries here:
> http://contest.leica-users.org/main.php
> When it is next promoted, I encourage you to participate.
> I would like to set you a challenge. Can you choose any theme that suits
> you
> and show some work either existing or expressly shot?
>>From my perspective it establishes your bona fides as a photographer here.
> 2009/5/4 Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
>

>> 2009/5/4 Philip Clarke <nod at bouncing.org>
>>

>>> I like the ideas very much, if you want to push what you feel
>>> comfortable with, then I feel:
>>>
>>> 10 random portraits of strangers in a day.
>>>
>>> no candids, all with the subject fully aware, this is "normal" for
>>> newspaper guys but a little more tricky when you've got no authority.
>>>
>>> Other things that are tricky for me (having done news) is to illustrate
>>> concepts:
>>>
>>> Death
>>> Life
>>> Scary