Subject: [Leica] Photos of a Temple
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 21:04:54 +0530

I was in the temple town of Madurai a few days ago, if you can call a
place with  2 million inhabitants a mere town, with a few hours free
so I went to the monumental Meenakshi Sundareshwar temple there  where
the god Siva (Sundareswar) and the goddess Meenakshi (Parvathi) are
said to have wed, and around which the whole city has evolved. It is
at the pinnacle of South Indian temple architecture, and is supposed
to be 2500-3000 years old, though most of the temple buildings
existent today date from the 11th to the 18th century. The whole
temple complex is huge, around 45 acres, with the main temple itself
measuring 254 by 237 metres, and has 12 huge goparams (temple towers).
It had just been freshly painted and was nice and colourful! It was a
very auspicious day and it was  quite crowded, so I kept a little away
from the holiest spots. Anyway, a few pictures:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Madurai/

Comments & criticism, as always, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Photos of a Temple)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Photos of a Temple)