Subject: [Leica] G10
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 03:39:42 +0100

Henning Wulff wrote:
> Yes you use long fast teles for sports. The sharpest lenses are always
> in demand. But also the fastest bodies, which the D3x isn't. It's the
> wrong tool.

Unless you are an agency or top sports photographer whose brief includes
taking pictures for advertising, pr, marketing, bill boards etc.... Some
events are shot fast and at low resolution. The D3x reaches 7 fps in DX
mode which is "normal" for long telephoto usage to extend the focal
length at sporting events at 10.5 Mp whereas the D3 does 9 fps at 12.1
megapixels and 11 fps at 5.1 mega pixels, so the D3x loses 2 fps but
still does 10 Megapixels which easily hits the fast turnaround markets
like newspapers magazines, but with a flick of a button one has a
billboard capable stock camera. Whereas the D3 is more suited to
newspapers in DX mode and certainly not for stock.

I checked my facts with a world class pro and an agency. A comment on
the yearly turnover on 400mm f2.8's (which apparently never happens
according to those who have not worked for the agencies nor at this
level), is that "the togs keep on breaking the damned things". Return on
Investment was also mentioned. My friend also wanted to know if I still
had my "ridiculously overpriced M6's"

Philip.

Message from nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke) ([Leica] G10)
Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] G10)