Subject: [Leica] I am beautiful, but alone..... now whites
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 03:19:55 -0400

The whites are a function of the company which makes the paper.
The use of brighteners or the use of a creamier warmer not white colored
base is all interesting stuff for a short time but we don't get much credit
for it We BUY the paper we PICK IT OUT that's it.. On the internet we can
find out which is the most acceptable paper qualities according to the signs
of the times and what the market will bear.
The Blacks in our prints on the other hand we can talk about day after day
week after week its a product of our printing technique.
There's not a film negative developer dilution time that is going to affect
this. Its not the film its the paper and how we print it.
With the exception of a very over exposed neg perhaps.
But even those we should be able to get a print with a very enviable black.

CINEMATOGRAPHERS also talk about their blacks in their films and in other
cinematographers films till the cows come home just like still photographers
do.

Getting solid blacks and clear whites in scans is something any early high
schooler could easily do. As photography would seem to be are clear interest
on the LUG we should be as good at Photoshop as the kids all playing with it
during recess instead of out playing on the teeter totter

Mark William Rabiner