Subject: [Leica] Photoshop vs Journalism
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:10:09 -0400

In the Danish contest the same argument could be made for B&W images as
well either converted RAW or as a negative.  I would bet the same images
submitted in B&W would not have created such an objectionable
response.  Over cooked in color is objectionable but not in B&W?  A double
standard then.  Like you say this may be an emotional response to the
digital takeover.  I find the double standard to be somehow heavily related
to perspective.  We all have our perspective of a thing in color.  We have
no perspective in B&W except perhaps through the unconscious via
dreams.  Color represents our conscious perspective and B&W our unconscious
perspective.  It would be interesting to contrast the difference between
conscious and unconscious perspective.  The latter would fall along the
lines of Freud and Jung as desires, fears, etc., but what the hell is
conscious perspective; what we think is real, our sanity, our interaction
with the world, or  is it just our perception we have control? (this is
Merleau-Ponty and Heidegger stuff)  So manipulation of the conscious world
(as represented by color images) would be objectionable if it was to
threaten any of these concepts like reality control, sanity, and
interaction.  But not in the unconscious world because it is constantly
being manipulated by the conscious world anyway so therefore no problem!